515 km ride today on backroads

Discussion in 'Rides' started by faffi, May 30, 2020.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Today, we rode from sea level to snow level - there was still snow covering the mountains above 2000 ft, with about 2500 ft being the highest point of the route. In the beginning, the 20C bright and sunny day made it warm, but not intolerable behind the shelter of the Deauville. But as we moved further inland, away from the sea, temps rose to a high of 26C. To me, that does take some of the joy out of riding, especially in full leathers. Even though the jacket is vented. Standing up on the pegs helped a lot, though, but since the road swerve more or less constantly, standing is not always an ideal option. I should not complain, though, because more often than not, the fairing is a blessing since we do not have all that many days above 20C in our country.

One thing that always get worse for me when its warm, is numbing fingers. Today was particularly bad, and especially the fingers on the left hand kept falling asleep constantly, often after less than a minute of keeping the hand on the handlebar grip. The firmer I grip, the longer it takes for the fingers to go numb. I presume it is because I then dampen the tingles that seeps through the bars. But I prefer to ride with relaxed hands and fingers, so I need to choose my poison. But it definitely detracted from the fun. Luckily, it got better as the day wore on, especially after riding along the snow capped mountain walls that helped cool me down.

First stop of the day after two and a half hours of riding. It was a quiet spot, but it was terribly hot, without a hint of moving air.
    [​IMG]

A few stops later, I had to make an emergency repair on the heated throttle grip on my son's MT-07; the glue gave up and the grip began rotating on the throttle sleeve. Just were we stopped, I found the remains of a small zip tie on the ground. I managed to squeeze a bit of it between the grip and sleeve, but had nothing to cut off the bit that was still hanging on the outside. I use a small, sharpish stone and a pair of pliers to make a cutter. It worked quite well. I had to put in a second piece of zip tie before the grip was secure and we could continue.

Repair made, time to pack up and continue
    [​IMG]

Sirdal, where there is still snow
    [​IMG]

Getting closer to home - this is Dirdal at 6.30 PM / 18:30
    [​IMG]

Other than the tingling digits and an in-ear headphone (for the obligatory intercom) that hurt like mad inside my new helmet, it was a superb ride, littered with bends and climbs of all kinds and shapes throughout the day. Took us 9 hours, including 6 short breaks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Thanks, faff, you live in a beautiful part of the world there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    faffi likes this.
  4. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Looks like you had a great ride and well done on the improvised repair. 26degC sounds perfect to me, but I'm use to a warmer climate

faffi likes this.
  5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

26C is fine on a naked bike, but too hot behind a full fairing for me, as it feels 10C warmer. Which is fantastic when it is 10C outside, of course. And we have far more days at 10C than 25C.

mikesbytes likes this.