A Weekend in Oberon.

Discussion in 'Rides' started by lindsaymac, Jan 6, 2015.

1. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Why did you replace the fuel pump with an OEM part? Facet 40171 is about half the price, including freight.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. junkmale

junkmale Flagging member

Spent a few hours in Blayney on the way home from the 89 GP.
    Only because the head gasket died just out of town & we had to wait for a rescue party from Lithgow.

I've been to Oberon twice. Neither time by choice.
    The 1st time was getting charged with "Posess object capable of causing bodily harm" It was 40+ degrees outside
    The 2nd time was to go to court. It was sleeting outside.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

Geez you guys are rough. I don't think Oberon is that bad. I mean have any of you lot spent any time in Sydney? :shock:

4. lindsaymac

Super Mod

Yep, but managed to escape in '82 and haven't looked back. :up:

5. Bimbo

Bimbo New Member

At the time Facet was less than $100 cheaper than OEM, factor in an extra hour in fitting while the mechanic works out what he needs to do and it's line ball in cost. A life expectancy of 40,000km is 8+ years for how much I use the KTM so I don't expect to have to replace it again. Besides, you can now get contact rebuild kits for sub $50 should the bike become a keeper....

6. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Much the same. Born there, in some ways still love the place, but early exploration of other states and cities showed in many ways they were better, so I bailed out, and that was about '82 as well. Like New York, the things Sydney takes a weird pride in, are not things to be proud of. They're problems to be fixed.

7. lindsaymac

Super Mod

I had to replace mine about 3(?) years ago, and the Facet cost me $110 landed here from the US, while I was quoted $280 for OEM; no contest. A little bit of head scratching to mount it, 'cause it's square, not round, but no biggie in the end. You're right in what you say regarding the mileage, and the points kits were available, but when my pump died, replacing the points wouldn't have helped, as the pump itself had seized.

...and with my second water pump seal having just been replaced, that will now be a 40,000km service part. Fucken KTM's, huh? :roll:

As for maintenance costs in general, it's been pretty reasonable, with a 7,500km service costing around $200 - $250, and the 15,000km around double that. In those same 22,500kms I'd have used at least 4 sets of tyres, which would be a bit over $2,000 at local prices.

#17 lindsaymac, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  8. Bimbo

Bimbo New Member

What were the signs it was time to replace your water pump seal?

9. lindsaymac

Super Mod

The water disappears from the overflow tank and the oil looks like a caramel milkshake. The first time it happened the temp gauge went up, and the red temp light came on, by which time the radiator was almost dry...then I noticed the colour of the oil in the sight tube. :sad:

10. Dunger King

Dunger King Apprentice Strom-Trooper

Sydney..... residential for 10 years, 2 years stuck in the joint and the other 8 either at sea or off somewhere else on my bike........ dont miss the joint