Bought a new used bike today

Discussion in 'Old Dungers' started by faffi, Oct 29, 2020.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Going to pick it up on Sunday. First 8 hrs on the train, then an hour to get things sorted and another 7 hours on the road. Uncertain weather forecast says 6-8C with rain showers expected for the duration. Well, as long as it doesn't snow...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    mikesbytes likes this.
  2. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

We had a change of plans. Thursday, my brother bought a Ducati Multistrada 1200S, 2011, from a dealer 60 miles from where my Honda was waiting. So Friday evening (yesterday) at a bit past 7 PM, we set off in his Mercedes Vito to pick them both up. We drove until 1 AM, took into a motel, slept until 6.30 AM, got up and drove the rest of the distance to Oslo where we loaded my CBF before returning to pick up the Ducati at the largest dealer of the brand in Norway. With both bikes on board, all that remained was the 6 hour drive home.

Pretty happy it came out this way, as it was snowing quite a bit on Friday, with plenty of salt being used on the roads. Riding for 7 hours on salty, half wet, half dry roads would have been a chore, with dirt everywhere, especially clogging up the visor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

You bought a new bike, arranged to do the hard yards and travel to ride it home in potentially inclement conditions, then wimped out and took your brother's van to pick it up?

Hand in your man card, you limp-wristed poof.

:p

faffi and mikesbytes like this.
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I will not argue with that, but I have no regrets :p

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

The other interesting thing was that I went for a ride in the dark with my friend Ingebretsen, the man with the K1300S. However, he has also bought himself a 2001 CBR929 Fireblade a couple of months ago, and that is the bike he rode today.

Since it is taken for granted that I lead on the road, the mal-adjusted headlights was a serious liability. Not only is the low beam adjusted straight down into the ground, the high beam is pointing towards the sky :pullhairout: OK, I am exaggerating a bit, but low beam goes 10 yards ahead, and high beam barely meet the road, but is great for lighting up tree tops and lamp posts. Not good on pitch dark roads that were partially wet, and also dirty. But we had no incidents of any kind.

After a while, we exchanged bikes. Hole crap, that Blade is uncomfortable :doubletake: Well, the handlebar position is. Hands feels like they are below the knees. And to think that period road tests claimed it had a relaxed and sport touring like riding position! Legs were folded a bit, but not dramatically. Feet, however, were too far forward compared to the handlebar position, at least for me.

The thing I dislike the most about low bars is that it is hard work to keep my head tilted back enough to see the road ahead. Takes almost all the fun out of riding. Apart from that, it was easy to feel the Honda genes in the engine. But the CBF does have significantly more power in the normal operating range, whereas the CBR should have much more top end, although I never tried to rev it up. The headlight was brilliant, though; both a lot brighter than that on my CBF, and also with a much wider path. On the other hand, the switchgear was naff and not nearly as user-friendly as the one on my CBF, which is identical to that on the 1992 CB400SF and 1998-on Deauville.

The CBR change direction almost by thought, and it is difficult not to put in too much effort. It also lean over very, very little. Coming from the Deauville, which leans over very, very far for the same speed, the sensation was strange. Actually, the CBR reminded me of the RG250 Gamma, which also had to be steered very gently and also needed very little lean for quite a bit of cornering speed. I enjoy light steering, but this is too light - I cannot get the feedback I expect. With a taller set of bars, though, I think I could get on fine with the CBR. Suspension was a lot firmer than that on my bike, just shy of being harsh, but fine if you want to err on the sporty side regarding handling.

Claimed power is 147PS for the CBR and 98 for the CBF, with the latter also being 110 lb heavier, but in the normal rev range the CBF rules. The CBF engine is also noticeably smoother, although the Blade isn't exactly a vibrator either, running smoother than the K1300S, for instance. After getting my bike back, we tried to make an acceleration comparison. We began doing 50 kph in 2nd gear since my friend is not very familiar with accelerating through the gears. He claimed the CBR still lifted the front wheel and backed off some. I also doubt he wound the gears fully through. But we ran neck and neck to 160 kph, me staying a wheel in front all the time. But as I said, I do not think my bike is nearly as fast flat out as the Blade.

In total, we rode 135 km, maximum temp 5 C.

Not us, but to show the difference in riding positions - to me it feels a lot more extreme, perhaps due to stiff shoulders and short arms fitted to my body
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

NERD STUFF
    I do not have a MOTORRAD test of the 2000-2001 Fireblade, but the 919cc 1996 made 126PS @ 10100 rpm, compared to 101 @ 7700 rpm for the CBF. Both made 100 hp @ 7500 rpm. @ 5000rpm, the Fireblade made 56, the CBF 68PS. The 954cc 2003 Fireblade made 145PS @ 11000 rpm and 65 PS @ 5000 rpm. And the 998cc 2004 Fireblade, the donor of the CBF engine, made 160PS @ 11400 rpm and 61PS @ 5000rpm.

kneedragon likes this.
  6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Today, we rode 230 km, or about 150 miles, under a cloudy sky with temps around 39F. Oldest son on my former 1982 Virago Scrambler, my brother on his "new" 2011 Multistrada 1200S, my rediscovered friend on his "new" 2001 Fireblade 929 (he still has his K1300S) and me on the "new" 2007 CBF1000A.
    [​IMG]My personal favourite engine is the XV1100 I transplanted into the 750 frame. It has the tallest gearing of the lot (just, not much in it against the Ducati), the least power, but it is nearly as flexible as an inline four while sounding and feeling much better. It is also the smoothest running of them in the normal operating range, believe it or not. It will pull from 25mph in top gear up an 8% incline and take full throttle from 30 mph without protest, whereas the Ducati will shake and complain below 60+ mph under the same conditions. Although it has plenty power also lower down in its range, it will hammer and shake under load. The Virago chassis feels its age compared to the others.

We all swapped bikes, and whereas my CBF needs constant guiding and refuse to corner on a smooth trajectory, always wanting to fall in or stand up, the Ducati is a marvel. It feels like an extension of your body. Steering takes no effort, yet is never nervous or sensitive. You can place the bike exactly where you want at all times, change your line at will. Beautiful! The engine shakes a bit and is unhappy at lower rpm, but is also very tractable and oh so easy to use. It can be docile as a 20hp 250 and fast as a superbike - 150hp is plentiful. I watched my brother later open the throttle wide from 55 mph in 2nd gear in instantly getting a face full of fuel tank as the bike jumped into a vertical position. He saved flopping over backwards with a dab of the rear brake that had the front end smacking down just as fast and hard as it came up.

The Fireblade has an engine feel very much like the CBF, yet different. It vibrates a bit more and has less low-end power and more high-end power. Handling is instant, but also very sensitive. The owner and my brother like it, I struggle, primarily due to the low and forward mounted handlebars that force me into a very uncomfortable position. According to my brother, who also has a 900i SS, the Fireblade feels like a tourer compared to the Ducati. I shudder to think how horrible it would be for me to ride.

[​IMG]
    At the end of the ride, we were all a bit chilly, but also warm from happy memories. Glad we went! My friend center-ish, my brother to the far right in the picture.

Footnote: The CBF is a little thirstier than the Deauville, with an average of 5.2 liters per 100 km on both of the two fill-ups I've made so far. The Deauville typically used 4.3, with a best of 3.9 and a worst of 5.0. Or 45 mpg for the CBF and typical 54 mpg for the Deauville.

kneedragon likes this.
  7. Felix

Felix Idiot, pure and simple

Classic faffi - cracking out 20 year old Motorrad stats...

:D

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Me in a nutshell :(

:D

9. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

@Felix: Go easy on him, mate, it's freezing over there and he's prolly using the magazines as insulation under his riding gear.

In the meantime...

[​IMG]

kneedragon and faffi like this.
  10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Have fitted new Pilot Power 2ct tires, waiting for new wheel bearings. Also going to strip and inspect swingarm and linkages to make sure all is perfect. Or overhaul if needed.