Cycling - Bikes etc etc

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by trek52, Jun 9, 2011.

1. alphamike

alphamike Hi-Speed Gumby

Is it all road gear or some MTB stuff? I've got an MTB frame which is missing, err, everything. Roadie would be good but not so sure $$$ will allow much at the moment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. strika

strika Track Junkie

Got any trip computers mate???

cleat Pedals = to suit MTB shoes?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. trek52

trek52 The dark side....Triumph

I have some mtb pedals you can have if you want ?? i have no cleats but have SPD pedals, send me a PM and i will post em down...free for you...

Tarmac try torpedo 7 they have a cheap deal on some carnac shoes. I would find it hard to believe shoes have changed much they should still be 3 bolt. I have an awesome set of shoes in size 45 if you are that big ?

4. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

If he had size 45 feet, Tarmac would look like one of those inflatable clowns that always pops back up when you knock it down :D

I take 45's, but already have more cycling shoes than Imelda Marcos (and 3 different pedal systems on 4 bikes....)

5. strika

strika Track Junkie

Thanks Trek. WHile I have you in cycle mode, would you mind recommending some tyres to fit to the new roadie? It has Continental Ultra Sports on it from new and they are fine for me, but I can't imagine they are that good with punctures and out where I ride, some of the cycle paths are a little "littery". So I am looking for something that is near bulletproof in a road tyre. Weight is not a consideration really, I just want as little time spent changing tubes and as much time spent riding as possible.

6. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Ultra Sports are crap, worse than crap. Conti claim their gatorskins to be good with puncture prevention, but I found them the best way to kiss the tarmac in the wet, the problem with them is that they give suddenly and you have buckles chance of saving the slide. GP4000 is pretty good.

On my fixie I run older race tyres, currently pro2race, but I run tyre liners, a piece of old tube around the join on the tyre liners and stains tyre sealant.

Nothing will prevent all flats, but it only takes 5 minutes to change and tubes are cheap.

7. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

Schwalbe marathon plus are marketed as "flatproof", but nothing is 100% as mikesbytes mentioned. I have had 2 flats in 20000kms, both times a >10mm steel rod/nail/needle got me. Immune to glass though. I ride continually over glass and rocks, cutting over suburban traffic islands - you can actually aim at glass deliberately, and they simply don't get punctured. Best cycling product ever :up:

Previous tyres puntured about once per 100kms...

8. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

I'm yet to have a flat in my gatorskins, but they are on my spare whells now so don't get used much. Bought them to go touring and they did the job, but yeah, not so grippy in the dry and slippery in the wet. As in I had touble getting up a hill in the wet because of wheelspin...

I had very few flats on pro-race 2's, many more on the 3's. 3's stick much better.

Guy in the MTB club was getting endless punctures.. caused by his tube-protectors cutting the tube :rolleyes:

Antti would be the expert reference for your needs though :up:

9. strika

strika Track Junkie

I know you have wider wheels, but assume by your recommendation that the Schwalbe Marathons would come in skinny roadie sizes, I shall ask around. What is the grip like?

The gatorskins sound great in terms of puncture effectiveness, but the lack of grip is not something I would really desire while I am learning the grip threshold of the pushie. One thing I do know, is that the Conti Ultra Sports stick well. I had a late change of mind resulting in a late apex and hard steering input and it leant over a fair way and gripped tenaciously.

10. anttisexual

anttisexual Pastafarian biker :)

I don't actually have wider wheels. I have 622 x 17 mavics which is pretty typical. Came stock with 32s, I've run 28, 32 and now 37s, and there are 25 and 40 as well which will go on the same rim. The bigger ones are a bit more comfy, run happliy at lower pressure, and probably last a bit longer I think. Have a look in the schwalbe catalogue on-line. If you are obnoxious enough to shop over the web, they are about $30 a throw from chain reaction, more like 60 or 70 in the shops here. I'm in love with them :)

Grip seems OK to me, but every pushbike tyre I have ever ridden seems to have no grip compared to sports motorbike tyres, and I never barely lean over. The marathons come in a few flavours of tread. The standard plus version has modest size blocks, so they start to gently push very early - a bit like a mountain bike tyre, but much milder. It is pretty easy to interpret the huuuuuggggge forewarning that they are starting to push. Seem Ok in the wet to me, and OK off road. So I have no complaints really about their behaviour since I have no interest in cornering hard :)