Done for doing 145 in an 80-zone

Discussion in 'The Boozer' started by faffi, Apr 17, 2018.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Not me, but a bloke about my age living in the same county. Sentence? Loss of licence for 15 months, 18 days in prison plus an undisclosed fine that experience tells me would be in the region of USD 1500. The sentence means he will have to do the whole licence program again if he wants do drive after the 15 months are up. That will cost him at least USD 2,000 plus a lot of time, plus there is a real chance of failing the test. Moral of the story; keep to the speed limits. Or know where to speed ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

In Australia (SA) a retiree Queensland lady got done for 85kph in a 100kph zone. How was that? There's a State law in SA that if there is an emergency vehicle at the side of the road with the lights flashing, then the speed limit past it is 25kph. So she was doing 60kph over the limit. Apparently they emergency vehicle was well off the road, so there was no need to slow down. End result was suspension of license, a fine, I forget the amount but may of been $1,500. And she has to leave her vehicle in SA and find another way back to QLD. That's pretty tough for not knowing the local law

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Yes, I agree it is harsh. But 85 in a 25 zone is also speeding quite a bit (well over 3 times the speed limit). And I reckon it is up to the driver to fully know the local laws, be that in a different state or a different country.

It is easy to understand the rationale behind the law, but also like with any other law, there are times when it may hit in a manner that seems unreasonable. Like here in Norway, where they wanted to throw a foreign university student out of the country because he paid back a loan too early, leaving his bank account too low for a legal stay. The poor lad is still not in the clear, but at least they have managed to halt the process while waiting for a court order. It's time like this I feel ashamed to be Norwegian.

5. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

"Regulations, are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of fools."

PAPPACLART likes this.
  6. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

Please do not get me started!!

I'm currently in Italy. Riding back from Lecco by the lakes to the small town where I'm staying, most of the road that calves through various towns and is a 50 with some 70kph speed limit sections. The slowest average speed is in the 50 zone was 70-80kph for cars but most are doing 80-90kph. I was filtering on the R1 at around 100kph in between junctions and side roads where I would reduce my speed to a more sensible velocity then speed up again. (modulation of speed) I was being overtaken by other motorcyclists btw.

Nobody gives a shit, no outrage, its totally normal and traffic flowed really nicely. The same road in Aus, all cars would be obediently doing 50kph in fear of a fine and totally bored and frustrated.

UK is similar to the above, can just ride how you like, no worries.

Being in Aus so long, I almost forgot how awesome riding in Europe is. The freedom to just ride is so great.

I know the fines in Norway are very strict but the risk of being caught is way lower than in Aus, at least from what I can remember. when I was there.

We literally raced flat out from Stavangar to a small town near Stockholm, and only stopped to fuel up. It was awesome. We were in the mountains so they are were not policed maybe like the more popular roads.

7. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

This is where I was returning from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pure heaven :)

8. Gypsy

Gypsy Past fast rider

Nothing but a revenue raising exercise, and a very dangerous one.

Example, South Eastern freeway, 3 lanes wide with a 110kph speed limit.

Copper on motorcycle pulls speeding motorists over to the inside lane and they expect all the traffic to slow to 25kph.

He will be there 10 to 15 minutes, and it will create a hazard.

9. Gypsy

Gypsy Past fast rider

And now we have the Northern Express way, same thing.

10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Very nice scenery!

BTW, currently Norway has the lowest death rates related to traffic in the world by a substantial margin. A rigorous training regiment plus speed enforcement no doubt have a lot to do with that, even if it reduce the ability to drive hard.

11. Gypsy

Gypsy Past fast rider

Maybe they got sensible road rules and good roads, not the goat tracks they call roads here.