Electric Motorbikes

Discussion in 'New Models' started by mikesbytes, Jan 11, 2020.

1. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Boris sure doesn't like Electric Motorbikes as it takes away the sound and feeling of a large internal combustion engine https://www.mcnews.com.au/electric-motorcycles-not4boris/

The problem the manufactures have is that the internal combustion engine is on death-row and to sell large bikes they need to be linked to lifestyle, not just transport. What Boris wrote about HD is bang on how I see the company and HD isn't dumb, take away its engine and the company is done, they know that. I think this is why HD have produced an Electric motorbike, as it will take time to develop a client base that doesn't need aftermarket exhaust systems to improve their erections

What I do find interesting is the price and styling of HD's electric bike, why have they pitched it at the top end of the market, considerably more expensive than their traditional bikes? and why the styling?
    1. Price. I'm thinking they are betting on seeing price as a way to denote their product as a superior product
    2. Styling. I think a better option for the styling would of been some sort of touring style where the engine and pipes weren't necessarily a key feature of display. However the very short range of the bike makes it not useful as a touring bike, its not even far enough to take for a Sunday ride so not a good idea to style as a touring bike

Ducati has gone the other way, it is forging a relationship with a scooter style ebike company and look likely to plonk their branding on something to ride down to the shops and back

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PAPPACLART likes this.
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I like electric vehicles for their lack of local pollution and instant power as well as massive engine braking. The total impact on the global co2 level from street vehicles is rather minor compared to other sources that should be sorted first IMO.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Yeah, ride or drive electric for the efficiency, simplicity, silence and power. If the environment was your primary concern, you would walk everywhere. Granted EVs are better, environmentally speaking than burning petrol, but not by much.

5. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

That does mean that we have one big smoke stack to deal with rather than 1,000 smaller ones. At the moment it means we are effectively moving from oil to coal, as the additional power generation would probably come from coal powered power stations

6. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

But even on coal, it emits less CO2 per km than petrol. And coal is on the way out in Australia. It's 60% of all power generation. 20 years ago it was 80%.

mikesbytes likes this.