Question Helmet advice needed

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Jan 7, 2018.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I am looking for a new helmet, but it has proven very difficult to find one that fits perfectly. This is what I have learned, both recently and over decades:

SHOEI - pure pain. They are too narrow at the sides of the top of my head. I cannot even keep on on for 5 seconds, not even one that's too large.

ARAI - acceptable, but tend to hurt around the temples if tight enough. Loud.

NOLAN - not exactly luxurious. Loud. But OK to wear. Tend to sit low over the brows.

AGV - Comfy enough, but will drop over the brow when correctly sized otherwise. Not great for wearing glasses, which I must wear.

SHARK - Great for glasses, comfy if I use one size too large, but like Shoei - to a much, much lesser degree - hurt on the sides of the top of my head when the correct size is used.

SCHUBERT - feels too narrow on top and too wide at the bottom. Not comfy for me, but not painful, either.

HJC - interior feels hard, and like Schubert a bit wide at the bottom and narrow on top, but less pronounced.

CABERG - impossible to wear glasses, interior feels a little hard and seems like it will be loud because there is too much room around the ears and the helmet is a little wide at the bottom.

Most helmets are too tight around my cheeks, and tend to bite myself. Literally. Sizes listed also vary a lot. I need a Small Shark helmet, a Medium CABERG and a MediumLarge AGV, for instance. But that is irrelevant as long as I can try it on for size.

Based upon this information, can you recommend a brand of helmet I should try to search out? A helmet that is, I presume, for a rather round scull seen from the top, not egg shaped.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PAPPACLART likes this.
  3. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Have a look at one of these helmets, faffster, a mate of mine bought one a year or so back and he loves it.

[​IMG]

They're a strapless design.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    faffi likes this.
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Thanks. Never seen it before, will see if I can find a dealer that carry them around here.

5. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I just learned that Arai (and Shoei and a few others) make helmets for just about every head shape - I just need to find a shop carrying a large enough selection.

6. Davo

Davo Corner Whore

Sounds like you just have to keep trying them on Faff! I'm using a Bell at the moment and love it, but as you know, its all about the fit.

PAPPACLART likes this.
  7. Felix

Felix Idiot, pure and simple

Stainless, and I would guess Shoei have different pads you can use to make the helmet fit more properly. Bike shops here carry them, not sure about where you are.

8. Davo

Davo Corner Whore

[​IMG]
    Something suited to your part of the world

Miss Behave likes this.
  9. Felix

Felix Idiot, pure and simple

Stainless? FFS autocorrect...how does Arai become stainless?? gboard sucks balls...

10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Every Shoei have tried is painfully narrow at the sides of the head, up near the crown. They are also too wide at the bottom. But it seems that the models I have tried have all been for egg-shaped heads (seen from above) whereas my head is more round (or square, even).