I fixed a 2014 Zero DS the other day...

Discussion in 'New Models' started by jonescg, Mar 12, 2018.

1. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

The owner said the bike just stopped working; wouldn't let him ride or charge. The bike has a feature which sends the bikes logs to your phone via BlueTooth, and emails the log directly to Zero. It indicated the battery management system was not working at all.
    20180120_153313.jpg
    The Zero is the electric bike at the back :D

I've done a little work on Zeros, and I'm well familiar with electric motorbikes and all ;). So he brought it over and left it with me.

Zero has no dealerships or authorised service folks in the country, so it's up to a network of like-minded e-riders to share their knowledge. Ryan Biffard in Canada (who works for Zero) kindly looked at the logs and suggested it was a power supply component failure on the BMS circuit board - a known issue. He happened to have a spare board for the 2014 Zero DS without a bike; which is about as useful as a bike without a BMS. So he very kindly sent it over to me.

Swapping the BMS board was very straight forward - akin to replacing a graphics card on a computer, except there's about 12 more screws to undo first, and a lot more grease. Grease you ask? On an electric motorbike? Yes - the grease protects the contacts on the board from corrosion and water ingress. So despite being fairly easy, it's a bike like a greasy pig race :D

With the new board in and the covers back on, it was time to take the bike for a ride and see that it charges properly.

It did, just fine.

So I had to ride it some more, just to be sure ;) This bike is so much fun. It's only about 40 kW peak, which means even in 'sport' mode you find yourself counting to 8 before you hit 100 km/h. But as with all bikes the sensation is torque, and lots of it. You effortlessly accelerate up to licence losing speeds around town, so much so you have to keep one eye on the dash and the other at the verge (looking for cameras). I just love the futuristic whine of the PMAC motor and belt-drive as you take off. Smooth as silk, and loads of fun.

The bike has about 160 km range at these sorts of speeds, and as much as 200 km in slow traffic. But who sits in traffic on a bike like this? The dual-sport riding position makes for an awesome commuter, with a comfortable stance and plenty of visibility. You gracefully slice up the middle to the stop line, and leave the pack behind with an effortless twist.

I gave it back to Daniel on the weekend - one happy camper. Probably a good thing as I was having too much fun and would no doubt lose what's left of my small points collection.

Seriously, the only people who have bad things to say about electric motorbikes are those who've never ridden one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PAPPACLART likes this.
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Hey, it's my job to ramble on endlessly ;)

I agree, though, that electric is fun. Have only driven battery operated cars, but it's much nicer around town than any petrol car.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonescg

I really wonder why some folks are opposed to vehemently to electric motorcycles. In my opinion, all the things we love about motorcycling are enhanced on an e-moto. The speed and acceleration, the wind, the smell of the forest as you slice through it, the effortless corner entry and exit... it's all still there and markedly better.

faffi likes this.
  5. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

I am not opposed to them. I think they have a place as well as obviously being beneficial to the environment. I would have an electric motorcycle but I can't see myself having one exclusively. There is something about the noise of a combustion engine and hooking gears that an electric motorcycle can not quite yet replace for me.

faffi likes this.
  6. jonescg

Trust me, you get over it very quickly :)

7. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

Are you sure? You are speaking to a guy who has ordered an exhaust (in Aus) to take to Italy with him (where his bike is) to install just so he has some noise for the ride through Europe. lol

faffi likes this.
  8. jonescg

Some can't be helped... :D