I'm flawed

Discussion in 'Riding Techniques' started by faffi, Aug 8, 2013.

1. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

I don't remember the Code line about faith... but then, he's scientologist...
    He does talk a lot about confidence and awareness, which are quite different: you ride sufficiently fast to challenge your perceived limits, but not so fast that you are scared. That leaves you free to observe what is happening... and maybe you observe that everything is fine, you can go faster. So you do.
    Now the "not being scared" has a lot to do with your existing beliefs, prejudices etc.... feeling that a CB250 is not going to hurt you for eg, whereas you might not have the same confidence on, say, Mick Doohan's 1997 NSR500, despite its higher absolute limits...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pneumatic

pneumatic aka Wes

You should try some adventure touring type tyres Faff, I find they are generally excellent all weather all road type tyres. Perhaps they are the feel your looking for.

I expect sticky tyres won't work for you. The Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa's were the stickiest road tyres I've ever used, excellent when warm and on a warm track. But at one morning trackday session in winter when the track surface was cold I couldn't get them to work, they were sliding everywhere. Because they were sliding, I couldn't get heat into them to make them work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. damocosmo

damocosmo New Member

Hmm you've got me thinking now.. Maybe I read it in a book called Total Control. The faith comment was used in the context of racing, saying that in most cases the barrier to someone going faster isn't a technique or set up issue but a mental barrier. More faith in the tyres and grip also improves your bike inputs (steering faster and more confidently) and allows you to concentrate properly on technique. I agree the way to approach your known limits is to incrementally push them, but when I'm just lacking some confidence I've found the 'faith' idea to be true. That's not to say you go into the corner with your eyes closed, just 'believing' that it's going to work actually helps it to work, with the prerequisite amount of skill to begin with. I saw an Aussie racer on TV a while back (Giles?) say if you want to get properly fast you have to basically be prepared to scare the shit out of yourself a fair bit.

#33 damocosmo, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

The Heidenaus on my Z650 are perfectly suited to my complete lack of skill :p

5. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

They seem the tyre of choice now in classic racing, a real alternative to Avons. I also see they are making slicks for Supermotards/250gp now too..

6. JNO

JNO New Member

The depth of faith when racing is directly proportional to the size of your death wish :)

7. damocosmo

damocosmo New Member

Haha well put