Jonesy's Shed

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Sep 16, 2018.

1. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Finally got my mezzanine in. I can start to store bulky crap like moulds, old gearboxes and building materials out of the way. The covered space will make for a less dusty place to do electronics and battery building.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    rjo likes this.
  2. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Looks well cool, Chris, plenty of room for everything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jonescg

So I have finally got this prelude driving! It's not 100% done, but I can at least drive it around. Wend for a few quick drives around town in it. It's currently a bit underpowered because it only has 6 of the 8 battery modules in there. But I hope to fit the last two modules in the spare wheel well of the boot. Should be good for ~130 km on the highway.

Build log is here for those who are interested.
    http://forums.aeva.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5502&start=350#p74961

Attached Files:

mikesbytes likes this.
  4. Felix

Felix Idiot, pure and simple

That's some great tinkering doc!

5. Felix

Hey Jonesy,

What do you reckon a ballpark figure would be for this kind of swap?

6. jonescg

Well this conversion was a no-compromise effort, so we used the most energy dense cells available at the time, added liquid cooling, kept all 4 seats and prettymuch all of the boot space. The motor is not the most powerful one out there, but it's very efficient. All up, she spent $40,000 on this. Worth it? Depends.

If you just want an EV - go and buy one. It will probably go further and will definitely drive nicer than a 31 year old car. It probably also comes with air conditioning, airbags, ABS and stability control. But if you want to preserve a cool old car and like the idea of something a bit different, then converting is totally worth it.

In the case of this car - I took it for one last long test-drive, so I can work out what the range is like. We did 175 km of mixed city and freeway driving, came back up the hill and still had about 15% left. So it's a very good range for the size of the car.

It has been handed back to the owner, who I hope will enjoy driving it as much as possible, and getting the most out of it.

7. Felix

Wow! Thanks for the response. That's quite a bit more than I would have guessed. We had actually thought about whether something like a 190E could be converted, but I think for that kind of money, you'd have to be WAY more into it than we are!

8. jonescg

Well yeah, like I said, this was a no-compromise car. We could have converted it for under $20k, but it wouldn't have gone as far. I figure with a conversion the final product needs to be at least as good, if not better than the original. Bearing in mind, a car which runs on electricity is already pretty good, regardless.

9. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Yeah, how many backyard sheds have a two-poster hoist?

Nice one, Chris, much envious.