Racing Kawasaki's WorldSBK ZX-10RR handicapped for 2018

Discussion in 'Motorcycle News' started by PAPPACLART, Feb 9, 2018.

1. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

This is not to my liking. I'd much rather they set a limit of let's say 13,000 for all I4s. That would have made it cheaper to get reliable performance, and harder to obtain an advantage, but it would also mean a level playing field. This is a bit like having the fastest rider/driver/horse start from the back just to make it a little uncertain who finish the line first. But shouldn't the best be allowed to win?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PAPPACLART likes this.
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

BTW, wasn't there something similar handed to Ducati when they were winning year in, year out?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    PAPPACLART likes this.
  5. PAPPACLART

PAPPACLART MCNews.com.au
    Administrator

As for whether it is fair, it depends what angle a person is coming at to support an argument to justify or disagree. Ultimately it is unfair. I mean we do not cap MM's ability so why should be do the same for a bike. It's almost as much as a competition between bikes/manufacturers as it is riders. (at least from the manufacturers perspective). On the flip side, racing is also a show, so we want to see a good show but if the Kawasaki's are winning everything then it's less of a show and that is bad for the championship/sport so some hard decisions have to be made.

If DORNA must interfere, I think they should set the tuning ceiling low for everyone, so everyone can get to that development ceiling quickly, easily and cheaply. (13,000rpm like you suggested) If your bike is still not competitive then the manufacturer should build a new/better base model to build upon. We seem to forget, any Motorsport is about the best machine and rider and as a result there will always be specific riders and machines that will stand out.

faffi likes this.
  6. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

motorsport stopped being about "the pinnacle of engineering" or anything similar decades ago.
    almost ever major class now is really full of machines built to suit the regulations. and the regulations are in place to attempt to create close racing which will increase the profitability of the series.

I don't like the idea of one rule for Kawi and one rule for the others, particularly when engine power is NOT the reason they keep winning.
    The chassis is very good, but the electronics are the difference between the Kawi and the others.

PAPPACLART likes this.
  7. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Tom Sykes and Johnny Rea might argue that point.