Question Off road helmets

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Clint Skiles, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Clint Skiles

Clint Skiles New Member

So besides looking cooler, what's the advantage of wearing an off-road helmet on a Mootang? There must be one if all the pros wear them?

I noticed on the motard track that I started to breath heavier than I ever did on a road bike on the track, mainly after the dirt section. Prolly mostly due to 'stress', cause I have zero off-roading experience.

Will an off-road helmet make it easier to breath?

How well do they protect you compared to 'normal' helmet on the road. The few off-road helmets I've tried on didn't seem anywhere near as snug and comfy as road helmets.

PAPPACLART likes this.
  3. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Welcome to the forum!

You get more air, making you feel fresher, cooler and more easy to breathe. Also, the shadow/visor is great for keeping sun out of your eyes. There are helmets of all shapes and sizes, take your time to find a good fitting one. Protection is typically a bit less; thinner insulation, usually no face shield and the chin piece can get stuck in a rut. Like everything else, it is about compromises.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Yeah, what faffi said, it's all about the airflow. As you're not going to be travelling at 200km/h+, the peak and more open design won't be an issue.

Oh, and welcome to the fray.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Miss Behave

Miss Behave Norick Abe Award
    Super Mod

I wouldn't recommend them if you're anaphylactic to bee stings, unless you get one with a full visor, and use it in the down position.

faffi likes this.
  6. Miss Behave

Super Mod

BTW, Clint - welcome. I am partial to motards, though don't have one at the moment. Whatya got?

7. Miss Behave

Super Mod

I can't believe I did it again.
    (Pepping Tom's Mojo)

Konversation Killer :D

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I think there are other reasons for lack of activity than your post, MB ;)