Overloading the Alternator?

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by jonescg, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Dunger King

Dunger King Apprentice Strom-Trooper

if you lose a cell on your battery and are only getting 10V or so, then it will run like a hairy goat, still happens with some FI systems but was absolutely shitful on the old pre-FI honda's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. remedy

remedy Active Member

Having had my share of experience riding a bike with a near to flat battery, the low battery definitely will impact how smoothly it runs.

On several of the many occasions this happened on the buell, I would disconnect the headlights as my thinking I was it would lower the demand on the charging system so that more would be available for spark, fuel injection and battery charging. I'm no electrician but it did seem to run smoother and got me home until I could chuck it on the trickle charger.

BTW, how can someone who runs an electric race bike team not have a charger? I got my charger for free about 12 years ago with a $200 datsun bluebird I bought. Charger was the best part of that deal.

3. Dunger King

Dunger King Apprentice Strom-Trooper

Alternator on my 4x4 shit itself 80km south of Nymagee last week on the back road to Euabalong, thought I'd run the battery down before I hit Euabalong..... dunno what the vehicle draws while running in daylight bt it got me the 500km home running on the battery and the bloody battery was still healthy when I got home............. fitted a new 110A alternator and all is healthy again

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Cause I never charge lead acid batteries :D - I have about 40 kWh worth of lithium batteries kicking around, most of it from 48 V to 700 V. Nothing at 12! I did try my RC charger but the battery was too low to even start the charge.

And I'm pretty bad with petrol engine maintenance... Mostly lazy since I got the EV bug.

5. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

i doubt you've damaged anything, except maybe the battery itself, which was on the way out.
    New battery should sort it.
    If you fried something I would expect it to be D E A D dead, rather than running rough