Tell me this isn't an interesting shot

Discussion in 'Riding Techniques' started by Backmarker, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

I hope the angles are true :)
    10928188_10203448778556714_4035975328463890591_n.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Andrew Lynn likes this.
  3. JNO

JNO New Member

That isn't an interesting shot.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

I love it :up:

5. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

Yes, tyres do have a bit more absolute grip today than they did 20 years ago, but they still have moderately forgiving and progressive characteristics at the limit. And modern 4 strokes have far better throttle control and response, and they have traction control, and they use it. Witness what happened to Danny when the wire on his got cut.

It is quite an interesting shot. What that shows me ... depends on how you look at it. Stoner once said some fairly un-diplomatic things about how much better modern riders are. In some ways, what he said was quite right - modern riders do make far fewer mistakes and do ride a much finer line against the laws of physics. But that's because the bikes - and tyres - allow them to. What's behind M&M's riding position and style? Obvious - heaps of skill, good confidence, lots of grip, and pure focus on going as fast as possible. What's behind Mick's style? Like a young tough guy who walks into a room, tense and ready, he's prepared to start swinging and throwing stuff on half a second's notice. Yes, he's going quick, but mostly he's ready to apply muscle to fight that thing in the blink of an eye. M&M's entire focus is How do I get through here quickest? Mick's entire focus is When is this bastard going to let go and snap? He was the world's best Russian Roulette player.

#4 kneedragon, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Here are the original images.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, their lean angles are almost identical, but Marquez's body position is way lower, so his corner speed is probably higher than Doohan's, at that point. Impossible to say for sure, but with the advent of more modern tyre and chassis technology giving more grip, it would be a fairly safe assumption to make.

7. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

yeah, great shots.
    i noticed, when the image with the two riders overlayed first started doing the rounds, it was mentioned by those un-learned, that it was interesting because MD had a weird style...
    Now, MD does (or did?) have an unusual style, but it was only slightly different to several of the top riders in the late 80's and early 90's. On both GP bikes and 4 strokes.
    So I think it says more about the road racing style evolving than MD or MM's particular technique

8. Andrew Lynn

Andrew Lynn New Member

captured between few milli-seconds?

9. Miss Behave

Miss Behave Norick Abe Award
    Super Mod

Quite possibly, Mr Lynn.

Welcome, BTW. Why don't you hop over to the Introduce Yourself thread and tell us a bit about yourself?

10. Andrew Lynn

Andrew Lynn New Member