Superstock Then and now

Discussion in 'Superbike and Supersport' started by faffi, Feb 8, 2020.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

In 2018, Micheal Rutter punted a stock Panigale 1100 V4 Speciale the around IoM TT course in about 18:40 for an average speed about 121 mph. I say roughly because it is impossible to time the lap correctly since it is not a typical get-away, nor lap completion. But it is close enough.

It's on YouTube in two parts, part 1 being here:

For a stock bike, that seems pretty impressive. However, Steve Hislop set a 18:39.4 lap on an RC30, or the Honda VFR750R as it was also known, back in 1989.

So what do you think? Is it impressive that 30 years later, an 1100cc stock machine on road tyres can match a 750cc modified street bike on slicks from the 80s, or would you have expected more from the development?

As a comparison, the New Era 750 record around Phillip Island was set by Scott Campbell on a Honda RC30 in 2016 with a time of 1:40.719. The production Superbike lap record was set by Wayne Maxwell in 2018 in a Yamaha R1 with a time of 1:32.224.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Hard to say Faffi. I'm going to go with a debate of they tyres rather than the bike, ie that road tyres have improved that much that they can almost match slicks of yesteryear. I'll guess there isn't a lot of difference in the ponies department, though the 1100cc street engine has a much wider power band than a virtually full on 750cc race engine of a past era. Perhaps there's some more data out there that would help with the comparison

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

The RC30 had about 140 hp, the Panigale 221.

5. mikesbytes

That's a big difference in HP, the gap must be mainly due to slicks vs road tyres assuming that all else is similar

6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

So would that indicate that slicks 30 years ago were better than the best road legal tyres today?

7. mikesbytes

We need more data Faffi to determine that. Its my current view that the 30 year old slicks are better than modern street tyres based on the info you have provided. More info could change my view

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Schwantz did 1.34.46 in the 1990 Phillip Island race. That can be compared to the 1.28.108 set by MM in 2013. That is comparable to the RC30/Panigale difference.