Today's ride in Norway

Discussion in 'Rides' started by faffi, Jun 18, 2019.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

The rain cleared and temps got up to 20C / 68F by 3 PM, so I decided to go for a ride on the Deauville. According to the better half, who was leaving for some shopping, there was no more sign of expected rain in the region. More about that later.

With the sun and the high-ish temps, considering the full coverage of the Honda, I donned a thin layer of merino wool underwear, leather pants, vented Honda Castrol leather jacket, vented leather gloves, and my Arai. The clock showed 3.27 when I hit the starter, the engine not requiring any choke since the air was so warm. Since I had to be back before seven, there would be no time to snap pictures, so the ones added are pics I've taken on previous rides.

Traffic was dense enough to bring the motorway to a complete halt, and I made a detour around the worst of it via Solakrossen and joined the motorway again just north of Sandnes. Unsure if I made up or lost a minute, but it was worth it just to be moving.

Oltedal
    [​IMG]

I wanted to ride up into the mountain range called Hunnedalen and Sirdal, route here https://goo.gl/maps/1fFgVDx2TXHR2odEA of anybody is interested. The traffic also convinced me to use the back route to Oltedal. Here, the sky began to darken, and by the time I got to Dirdal, wet spots began to appear on the road, and just at the intersection for Gilja, the road went full wet. This didn't last long, because it was dry in Byrkjedal, but half a mile later the road again turned wet and it began spitting ever so slightly.

Above Dirdal
    [​IMG]

Despite not being dressed for a downpour, I decided to press on. If nothing else, I could determine how well the fairing on the Honda would protect me. Despite utter black clouds covering the heaven, it never rained in earnest. However, observing how soaking wet the road was, it must have been raining hard a short while ago.

Old road to Gilja, now permanently closed
    [​IMG]

The screen was totally wet, and the boots would get wet unless I pulled the toes hard in and moved the feet back until only the toes were resting on the pegs. Otherwise, I was absolutely dry. Temps had dropped rapidly with the change in weather, from 18C/65F when the sun was still shining, to 11C/52F up in the mountain range. Cruising speed varied between 60 and 75 mph, a bit naughty considering the 50 mph limit. Being smooth around the bends is paramount in the wet if risk is to be kept at a minimum.

Halsen, close to the highest - and coolest - point
    [​IMG]

Despite the lack of clothing, especially for a person who gets chilly and downright cold very easily, I was comfy enough that I didn't even put on the heated grips. With the handlebars now relieved of their raisers, the hands are completely out of the draft. Very, very good. Unless it gets hot, of course. Once I got a bit lower, to Tonstad, the sun appeared through the lighter layer of clouds and temps rose to about 17C/ 63F, where it stayed more or less constant until I got home. The road between Tonstad and Helleland would take me past Terland klopp
    [​IMG]

and through Gyadalen
    [​IMG]

The first 240 km / 150 mi of the exactly 250 km long ride took exactly 3 hours, averaging 80 kph / 50 mph - the final ten km took 9 minutes. For me to ride 3+ hours nonstop is an ordeal. Although the bike is comfy, I have aches all over; butt burn, sore neck, a miserable shoulder, sole of my feet ache for whatever reason, wrists get a bit sore as does the back of my hands. But my knees suffer the most, joined today by sad lower back. This despite me moving about on the bike frequently, and also standing up every now and then.

Most of this is down to me always having aches, ever since I was a small child. And apart from the knees, most aches will go away shortly once I stop and take a break. But the pain does detract from the experience, no doubt.

Enough moaning. It was in total a great day on the road.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Looks like a nice ride mate

Old road to Gilja looks like an interesting walk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

There is also the old road between Gilja and Frafjord that is great for hiking or biking. We've taken the motorcycles past the barrier a couple of times, but there is no way I could get the Deauville through the narrow gap.

BTW, the picture showing the more or less collapsed road near Gilja is actually of an upgraded route compared to when my dad used to drive a bus there back in the 1950s. The road then crossed the stream, where a narrow track led to Byrkjedal. They restored the bridge some time ago, and it really is as narrow as it looks. Buses must have been much narrower back then!

You can just make out the remains of the path on the other side of the bridge where traffic once moved.

[​IMG]

mikesbytes likes this.
  5. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

That countryside looks stunning, faffster, would love to get over there one day and have a look for myself.

Speaking of similar, a mate of mine and his missus are heading over your way, leaving Sydney on 1st or 2nd of July. His wife is Danish and they're going to visit her family and then cruise around your part of the world on a borrowed Africa Twin, for a month or so; the original 750 V-twin, not that new-fangled POS.

Not sure what their itinerary is but I thought, if you were willing, you might be able to offer some route suggestions, as you seem to know your way around the place pretty well. I haven't mentioned anything to them, at this stage, as I thought it polite to ask you first.

He's a carpenter/builder and, like you, loves his bikes...likes his beer, too. He currently has an ST4 Ducati and an old '74 Bonneville 750 then recently bought a BSA 650 Spitfire, which he's currently doing up. Oh, he's got a Postie bike, as well.

Yeah, you're both into the old dungers.

faffi likes this.
  6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

They should hopefully have fun and see a lot of interest. Hopefully, there will also be some nice weather; last year was insane, with heat and sun and no rain. This year sees the normal chill for our land, but a little wetter.

You can give them my e-mail address if they are interested in any suggestions for routes and sites - 64faffi@gmail.com - and I am more than happy to give them some alternatives.

And you, if you find your way over here :cool:

7. lindsaymac

Super Mod

Much appreciated, Eirik, I'll pass that on to them and they can take it from there. And never fear, if I get the chance I'll be on your doorstep before you can say, Vel, se hva katten drog inn!

:D

BTW, thought I'd best mention their names are Mick and Bente Ross.

#6 lindsaymac, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

You are well on your way to fully mastering our language, mate:D

Mick isn't used here, while Micke/Michael is used in Sweden, but Bente is quite common with us.

9. lindsaymac

Super Mod

Heh-heh. Mick is the type of bloke you could call anything except late for lunch.

:)