Question Toppling ride

Discussion in 'Riding Techniques' started by faffi, Feb 7, 2018.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Now that I commute to work every day on the Virago scrambler, and the roads are getting eaten by studded tyres that dig tracks in the asphalt, I have noticed that the old Yamaha is constantly toppling from side to side as I ride up or down the "walls" of these tracks. It's like it doesn't want to stay balanced. The slower I ride, the more pronounced the effect. Cannot remember ever having noticed it to this degree on any other bike. What would be the most likely culprit here, tyres, bike or useless rider?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

I get that on Leach highway - main truck route to the port of Fremantle. It was more pronounced due to the squared off tyres though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    faffi likes this.
  4. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Could be the knobblies have an impact, and the K60 rear tyre is pretty square in its stock profile.

5. Miss Behave

Miss Behave Norick Abe Award
    Super Mod

No. I get it too. The roads are so bad that when it rains there's two rivers running down the road from the wheel impression tracks. Its more noticeable when splitting coz you go over one hump, into the "ditch" in one lane, back over the hump and into the "ditch" in the other lane. Its even worse when the temp gets over 40oC and the bitumen softens. Might be the same for you, Faffi, when it freezes?

I run hard as rock PR4s and the right hand side of the front tyre ends up with bad cupping from travelling in that tyre track.

6. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Yes, the frost and the studded tyres break up the road surfaces really bad.

7. trev

trev The Boss
    The Boss Administrator Super Mod

Ride faster Faff then it will go away :)

8. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Yes, I've noticed it's reduced with speed :cool: Trouble is when you cannot pass and traffic is moving at 10-20 kph.

9. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

You never heard of lane-splitting, faff?

10. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Many places, there are no room to pass other than using the bicycle lane. And on a 3.5 km ride I am not in such a hurry that it warrants a AUD 330 fine to save me 20 seconds. Yes, I'm growing old and respectable :oops:

This is my route. Hopefully, I manage better to stay on the road with my bike than when drawing with the mouse ;) What doesn't show is that the road is relative narrow due to wide sidewalks on both sides, and the mild curving plus houses rob a lot of the view ahead. And the road is packed with traffic. So while splitting lanes is possible in short bursts - and I do it from time to time - it really isn't worth the risk or annoying the drivers around me. There are also a ton of speed bumps along the route. So again, for the very limited time I can save most days, I just trundle along at 30 kph. If traffic stops, then I will split to get ahead.

Rute jobb hjem.JPG

11. Miss Behave

Miss Behave Norick Abe Award
    Super Mod

Faffi - you're a tragic! 3.5 klicks!!! That's walkable, even by my standards.