Tyre Pressure

Discussion in 'Workshop' started by bladedakoda, Jul 27, 2005.

1. bladedakoda

was looking through the manual today and for the sp2 it says front 36 rear 41 psi seems abit high to me? what does everyone else think.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PiJiL

PiJiL Steve Macqueen Award

You need the higher pressure to maintain heat and stability in the tyres on the road...

The higher cornering and braking speeds at the track require less pressure as the air expands and a hot tyre has a higher pressure..........................

Funnily enough, my CBR manual says the same :smile:, but I rum 28 rear and 30 front at the track........

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

Thats just what most manufacturers (bike and tire) will reccomend for a "full size" bike. Just perfect for everyday sort of use. Gives good grip and stuff and gives you great tire life. Also helps keep the tread "open" whick is good for wet weather.
    I run the Bandit at 36/42 all the time, except for track days, and the Pilot Powers are wearing great, and have had no probs.

5. bladedakoda

cool thanks guys wasent sure sounded high but wtf would i know lol.what pressure do u run at the track russ?

6. saaz

saaz New Member

36/42 is about the standard pressures for road use. On some bikes that weight the front a bit more and are relatively hard on front tyres 40/42 is good (eg ST1100). One one of the last Master test things they were running 36psi at that particular track, including with the SP2, but that is probably at the high end for track use.. Interestingly I have a reasonably recent pommie mag that ranked the SP2 higher than all those other V2 things.

7. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

I have only done a few sesions at the track before, but I will add to that talley this weekend!!! So I'll tell you what I think about track pressures next week.
    Actually I would like to know what other guys run at the track on street tires (I'm on Pilot Powers), last time I was around 30 or 31 psi front and back.

8. strika

strika Track Junkie

U would be best to speak to the appropriate tyre race guys ie- Michelan man, Bridgestone boy, Dunlop darling, etc etc.

I always found them to be pretty spot on with tyre pressures.:)

Dunlops i always ran 30/32 bridgerocks-28/29 michelins 30/32. But this was ten years ago so pays to check what the new stuff runs.

Bridgerock race guy reccommended 29/30 for 012ss.

9. mojo

mojo VFR-Pilot

For what its worth, On my VFR800, service guru (who owns same bike) suggest's 38front, 40 rear (Dunlop D204's) remember this is up here too QLD....its warm here:finga:

10. Davo

Davo Corner Whore

Why do you go so much lower on the track?
    I can't stand having the fronk tyre lower than about 32, feels really weird to me.

11. Jezza

Jezza Ugly Bitch

Cause the tyres get much hotter there - pressure increases