Wanted: '99 R6 master cylinder set

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by jonescg, May 5, 2011.

1. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Hi all,

The RG250 originally came with a 14 mm master cylinder, able to exert all it's might onto two pissy little dual 27 mm callipers. I have a 1/2 inch MC on the bike at the moment, and while it supposedly delivers more force, there is not a lot of feel in the brake. So I figure a 14 mm (or 9/16th in the old language) is a better option.

As I understand, many of the late 90's 600 cc bikes used 14 mm MCs... so if anyone has one, or knows of a shop where I can buy one, I'm all ears. I will need the MC, lever and reservoir.

Cheers,
    CHRIS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Pretty much any pre-radial m/c from a 600 or 1000, ie <=2003 GSXR600, <=2002 GXR1000. CBR600 if you want the reservoir integrated.

Can't see how a bigger m/c will make it anything but worse myself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonescg

My lever goes all the way to the bar and feels spongy, that's all. Plus, the OEM was a 14 mm bore, and what I currently have is a 12 mm. The least I can do is install what it was originally built with.

5. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Bleed it!

6. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Undersized M/C will feel spongy, and travel further.. doesn't mean it won't work really well ;)
    I'm running a 12.5mm MC from an RS125 on the Race bike (16mm original).. Yep, I can squeeze the lever to the bar if I really want to, but the brakes will have locked and thrown me over the basr well before then!

7. jonescg

Theoretically that should be the case, but it was a cheap no-name 1/2 bore MC, and the adjustment bolt is threaded already! If I tighten it up to maximise the effective travel, it locks on in warm weather.

Cheap aftermarket part = fail. I notice that early 2000's VTR1000s have 14 mm bores, so I might hunt one of them down.

8. jonescg

OK found a '02 1200 Bandit parked at UWA and the MC was a 14. Sweet. Placed an order for it through McC's at Vic Park. It should be here in time for my first track testing at Wanneroo (June 20th).

9. jonescg

Why is it so hard to get a parts department to share information?

I asked for a front master cylinder to suit an RG250 (OEM was 14 mm). No can do - to ancient. OK give me any 14 mm master cylinder. Sorry - can't give you any sizes, just parts for bikes.

So who stores a database full of information on what bikes came with what MC sizes? Internet was no good, so I looked at the bike in the carpark with a 14 mm MC. Bandit 1250 S. What year? Hmm, the chassis plate was a bit obscured but I think I can see an '02 there. SO I ask for a MC for an '02 Bandit. He assured me that it couldn't have been a 1250 (but I'm looking at it right now...)

$225 and a 3 week wait later, it arrives - 5/8ths, or 15.8 mm :banghead:

So now I have to sell an oversized MC as they won't refund me :mad:

Another Bandit 1250 was parked in the car park - it's chassis plate was much clearer - '08. :silly: :roll: :( The new one has been ordered but they are looking to see if Suzuki will credit them (doubtful, but worth a try).

Why would a parts department not keep this information handy???

Sigh.

#8 jonescg, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  10. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Mate, I'll tell what I've always done- Taken a pair of vernier calipers down to a wreckers, and ratted through the buckets, measuring stuff to find what i need. Don't ask them to help me (to much work), just ask for access to the parts bins. And once I've found what I was looking for, the price battle begins.
    But Wow, $225?? I wouldn't pay that for a Brembo radial :eek:

11. jonescg

Yeah, I just don't feel comfortable with second hand brake parts (says the guy who rides a home-made electric bike straight out of a Mad Max II scene)

I was quoted many higher prices - this seemed the cheapest of the lot without resorting to a wrecker. At least 3 weeks was a fairly quick turnaround (for Perth).