Wanted: CBR1000RR or YZFR1 rolling chassis

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by jonescg, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Fenris

Fenris Orangutanasaurus

I think the quoted dry weight is something like 168kg, and just under 200 fully fueled with fluids. I'll shoot you a PM with my details and we can suss something out.

2. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

It is, the first of the Honda 600's to go Al. Otoh the swingarm pivot runs through the back of the motor and although the frame is also directly connected, it is a bit minimalist compared to bikes that use only the frame to mount the swingarm. It'd probably be ok as long as you machined up a spacer to fit in plcae of the motor.

Later models got progessively beefier around the pivot until in 2007 they got rid of the pivot-in-the-motor entirely.

Problem with Jap bikes is the motor usually outlasts the frame, which fails when inserted into the front of a 4wd :(

Wonder if a 400 would work? being earlier generation, they are just as big as a current 600, and have decent supension & brakes. Rear wheel size is a bit narrow but probably enough for electric power. Best thing is that lots have been brought in as race bikes, hence no compliance and no value as road bikes. Lots then proceeded to drop their guts... look for a ZXR400 with dropped valves?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

1992 ZXR400 (pics only....sorry Chris)

Found these stripped down pics and thought they might be of interest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"There's a bear in there...." :lol:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

Looks tiny! I'm not sure if there would be much room for the motor(s) though...

5. GrahamB

GrahamB Decaying member

Not really smaller than a modern 600.
    One thing that changed recently is using vertically stacked gearboxes. That means the frame rails need to run higher over the back of the motor, which might give more space for the motors. I think the R1 was first, GSXR600 didn't do it until 2006... Honda maybe 2004??

On the other hand, up until about the same time most frames were still partly extrusions. Later they are entirely vacuum castings... trickier to weld :(

6. kneedragon

kneedragon Re-Member ... ?

That's a great set of crash-knobs. They look like they might actually do some good if needed.

7. kneedragon

I've been told by experts that I couldn't get this silly just playing with one, so ...

There would be lighter frames, and you could bolt everything together without the engine and roll it down hills, but I think if you loosened off all the engine mounts by five turns and went for a ride, you'd soon notice. ie., the engine very much plays a role. No, I haven't tried it.

8. Backmarker

Backmarker Piston broke

Soo an old air/oil gixxer rolling chassis is the go if you want room then :eek:
    At least you'd be able to get a bling SSSA for it :D

9. jonescg

jonescg my real name is Chris.

I saw an old GSXR750 air cooled job at the wreckers once. Had a perimeter frame on it too. Looked heavy to say the least.

10. kneedragon

As I recall, the claimed dry weight for the whole bike was 176kg. ('85 model.) They couldn't have been that heavy.