Wot? No more mudflaps?!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by faffi, Jul 2, 2015.

1. faffi

faffi A.S.A.N.

Changes to Australian Design Rules benefit manufacturers, consumers.
    Motorcycle manufacturers are set to save millions, and riders are less likely to be fined for customising their bikes under changes to the Australian Design Rules.
    Australia-specific requirements surrounding rear mud guards have been abolished. Until now, new motorcycles had to be retrofitted with large, unsightly mud guards that extended beyond the rear wheel.

Many riders removed them, and some have been fined as a result.
    A joint media statement issued by Assistant Minister for Infrastructure Jamie Briggs and Parliamentary Secretary Josh Frydenberg says the mudguard requirement was "outdated and has no bearing on vehicle safety".
    "This change is expected to deliver $14.4 million in industry compliance and manufacturing savings every year, which should lead to lower prices for new motorcycle owners," it says.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dalahare

dalahare Dunger lover

Why is it a Norwegian finds this for us?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Davo

Davo Corner Whore

It came out a while ago as part of the Libs initiative to cut red tape, or some such thing.
    Its been a good run for motorcyclists of late....(unless you're a bikie of course)

5. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

Is this a case of bringing the regulations in line with other countries?

6. smythie

smythie Casey Stoner Award
    Super Mod

probably. But I'm guessing a politician or one of his influential mates got booked for it.

However, thanks to our idiotic 3 tier political system, the ADR change does not imply or require that the State bodies suddenly stop enforcing the old rule.

7. pneumatic

pneumatic aka Wes

#6 pneumatic, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  8. mikesbytes

mikesbytes ~(:-))-[Oo

If I'm understanding the QLD summary correctly it says;
    - 45deg rule gone, but must still protect against stones etc. Which sounds like it becomes personal judgement.
    - Can't modify existing mudguards except if its a bolt on extension, there simply for compliance, then it can be removed.

So you can't just remove the mudguard to give it that sporty look and if you act like a dickhead, like that guy with the helmet camera and rub up the cops, then expect a ticket, at the coppers discretion.

BTW if a stone gets flicked at you by another vehicle, what is your legal standing?

9. pneumatic

pneumatic aka Wes

The rule makers have a knack of making things grey enough that they can still book you if they don't like you.

10. RUSS M8

RUSS M8 Riding slowly on

:stupid:

fortunately i dont ride a cool sportsbike any more, and the huge mudflap on my v strom keeps me and my luggage clean and dry.

oh fuck, i am actually faffi now :( lol

11. lindsaymac

lindsaymac Can't reMember
    Super Mod

Sorry M8, your reply was only two sentences long. faffi would have turned that into three paragraphs,

...with pics.

:err: